Chop up ripe tomatoes and fresh herbs for homemade salsa that’s bursting with flavor.
Number of servings: 8 (serving size ½ cup)
- 6 tomatoes, preferably Roma (or 3 large tomatoes), diced
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅛ teaspoon oregano, finely crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ avocado, diced
- Combine all of the ingredients in a glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve within 4 or 5 hours.
Nutritional information per serving: 42 calories; 2 g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 44 mg sodium; 2 g fiber; 1 g protein; 7 g carbohydrates; 337 mg potassium
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Learn more about selecting the right types of food in the right portions
Call 706-721-8637 to make an appointment with an Augusta University Health dietitian.