Get creative with healthy toppings, and bake up a pizza that’s good for you!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 4 (serving size = 1 pita pizza)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (about 2 small breasts)
- 1 cup broccoli, rinsed, chopped and cooked
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 4 (6½-inch) whole-wheat pitas
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450° F.
- For each pizza, spread ¼ cup tomato sauce on a pita, and top with ¼ cup chicken, ¼ cup broccoli, ½ tablespoon Parmesan cheese and ¼ tablespoon chopped basil.
- Place pitas on a nonstick baking sheet, and bake for about 5-8 minutes, until golden brown and chicken is heated through. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per serving: 275 calories; 5 g total fat; 1 g saturated fat; 32 mg cholesterol; 486 mg sodium; 7 g fiber; 20 g protein; 41 g carbohydrates; 362 mg potassium
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
Learn more about selecting the right types of food in the right portions
Call 706-721-8637 to make an appointment with an Augusta University Health dietitian.