Put a heart-healthy spin on your favorite homemade classic.
You will need:
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 oz. sugar snap peas, trimmed and sliced diagonally
- Black pepper, to taste
- Stir together the chicken, broth, onion, water, carrot, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add peas and simmer for 5 to 8 more minutes.
- Serve when the chicken is no longer pink in the middle and the quinoa is tender. Don’t forget to remove the bay leaf before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the American Heart Association.
Reduce your risk of heart disease with healthy eating
To learn how to select the right types of food in the right portions for optimal heart health, call 706-721-8637 to make an appointment to meet with a dietitian.
To learn about our heart and cardiovascular services and providers, visit augustahealth.org/cardio.