Put a heart-healthy spin on your favorite homemade classic.
You will need:
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 oz. sugar snap peas, trimmed and sliced diagonally
- Black pepper, to taste
- Stir together the chicken, broth, onion, water, carrot, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add peas and simmer for 5 to 8 more minutes.
- Serve when the chicken is no longer pink in the middle and the quinoa is tender. Don’t forget to remove the bay leaf before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the American Heart Association.