Number of servings: 12
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup blueberries or strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, egg, banana and water. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the applesauce mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients; mix just until the batter is moist.
- Gently add berries into the mixture.
- Fill each muffin cup about ¾ full of batter.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until lightly brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.
Nutritional information per serving: 68 calories, 0.6 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 14 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g protein, 14.9 g carbohydrates, 1 g dietary fiber, 7.5 g total sugars, 108 mg sodium.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, whatscooking.fns.usda.gov.