Do you want to:
- Avoid weight gain?
- Rev-up your metabolism?
- Optimize your energy?
- Improve you mood?
- Curb cravings later in the day?
Studies show that one of the best ways to achieve these goals is to: Eat Breakfast – and the sooner you feed your body for the day ahead, the better!
But…“I don’t have time” or “I don’t like breakfast foods” or “I’m not hungry when I wake up” are some of the most common excuses Registered Dietitians hear. Our response, just eat something – anything! – within the first 1-2 hours of waking up. And here’s the thing, it doesn’t have to be your typical “breakfast” foods! For example, in China many people start their day with tofu or cellophane noodle soup. In India, a breakfast can consist of curried vegetables, while in Japan breakfast looks like miso soup, rice and grilled fish. Thinking outside-the-box can transform your day and take you out of your breakfast rut.
The ideal first-meal of the day is a balance of whole-grain carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fat. As long as you avoid those highly-refined, sugary, processed foods, like donuts, pastries and sugary breakfast cereals, you’ll have the makings of a great “breakfast!”
Here are some quick, non-traditional breakfast ideas to jump-start your day:
- Mozzarella cheese stick roll-up with low-sodium lunch meat
- Cheese slices with 5 Ritz Crackers
- Smoked-salmon on whole wheat toast
- Turkey breast sandwich with whole-wheat bread
- Cottage cheese with peaches, berries or fruit of your choice
- Sweet potato topped with cottage cheese
- Whole wheat English Muffin with slice of cheese and tomato
- Hummus with whole wheat crackers or vegetables
- Avocado on whole wheat toast
- Quesadilla on whole wheat tortilla
- Bowl of low-sodium canned soup
- Reheated beans and rice
- Deviled eggs made with plain non-fat Greek yogurt (instead of mayo)
- Leftovers from the night before
Remember: portion sizes still matter!
Eating breakfast, whether your typical or non-traditional choices, may get you on track to make healthy choices all day. So drop the excuses to drop a few pounds and start your day with something – anything! – to rev up your metabolism and conquer the day!