Macaroni and cheese is an all-time, crowd-pleasing, comfort-food favorite, and it’s no surprise why. If you’re looking for a guilt-free option, substitute the empty-calorie pasta for nutrient-rich ingredients like cauliflower and quinoa. Then add cheeses like ricotta, parmesan and cheddar for an extra boost in protein, calcium and vitamins.
What you’ll need:
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into florets
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 cups dried and rinsed quinoa
- ¾ water
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, pick your favorite
- Salt and pepper to taste
What you’ll do:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Steam the cauliflower for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove and drain. In a blender, combine the cauliflower, salt, pepper and mustard. Blend until smooth, adding milk slowly until the consistency is smooth and thick.
- In a small pot, boil the ¾ broth or water. Add the quinoa and cook for 12-15 minutes or until fluffy.
- Transfer quinoa into a large mixing bowl. Pour cauliflower mixture on top. Fold in 1 cup of cheese. Transfer mixture into a baking dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is toasted.
- Let cool and enjoy!