This dish is quick, easy and delicious. This recipe is great for last-minute improvisations. Don’t have tomato paste or feel like mashing tomatoes? A jar of your favorite pasta sauce can substitute. Don’t want the hassle of cooking rice? It can be eaten alone. Or, it makes a great base for chicken breasts, ground turkey or top it with mozzarella cheese for extra gooey goodness.
What you’ll need:
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup of spinach
- 3 tsp cumin (ground)
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika (ground)
- ¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- Almond flakes
What you’ll do:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add spices and stir to combine.
- Add tomato paste to the mixture. Stir to combine.
- Mash the peeled tomatoes in a small bowl. Stir them into the mixture. Let sauce thicken.
- Stir in chickpeas.
- Add spinach. Gently stir the mixture until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice. Top with almonds.