These stuffed mushrooms will steal the show at your next party or gathering. Mushrooms, quinoa and farro are great sources of meatless protein. Plus, the farro and quinoa will add other nutrients like fiber, iron and potassium. Elevate this dish to another level by sprinkling some freshly shredded parmesan cheese on top.
What you’ll need:
- 30 whole button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dried and rinsed quinoa
- ½ cup of farro
- 1 & 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Shredded parmesan cheese, optional
What you’ll do:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the mushrooms. Remove the stems from 25 of them and place cap down on a non-stick or well-oiled baking sheet. Chop the remaining 5 mushrooms and set aside.
- In a small pot, boil the ¾ broth or water. Add the quinoa and cook for 12-15 minutes or until fluffy.
- In a small pot, combine the remaining broth or water with the farro. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-40 minutes until grains are tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
- Once the grains are cooked, combine them in a large mixing bowl.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil olive with chopped onions until the onions begin to wilt. Add garlic and chopped mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Lower the heat. Add quinoa and farro mixture to the skillet and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Remove from heat after all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop mixture into remaining mushrooms caps. Bake for 15 minutes-20 minutes. Mushrooms should be tender and steaming. If you’ve chosen to add parmesan, the cheese should be toasted.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!